Fight for $15 campaign petition drive
January 14, 2015
A petition drive for the Fight for $15 Campaign will take place at a variety of locations in Vancouver, Burnaby and Victoria January 15.
The B.C. Federation of Labour launched the Fight for $15 Campaign to increase the minimum wage in BC to $15 an hour. The Campaign sponsors events on the 15th of each month, highlighting a unique aspect of the Campaign. In January, the focus is students and the minimum wage.
“We know that many students are struggling to put themselves through school and make ends meet on minimum wage jobs,” said Irene Lanzinger, President of the B.C. Federation of Labour. “Post-secondary graduates are leaving school with an average of $35,000 of debt. That is not good for our young people, and not good for the economy.”
The Fight for $15 Campaign will be signing petition and leafleting at:
• Broadway City Hall Skytrain station, Vancouver 7:30 am – 8:30 am
• Broadway and Commercial Skytrain station, Vancouver 7:30 am – 8:30 am, 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
• BCIT at Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby 7:45 am – 8:45 am
• Surrey Central Skytrain station, Surrey 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm
• UBC bus loop, Vancouver 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm
• Metrotown Skytrain station, Burnaby 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm
• Outside the Downtown Bay Centre (Douglas Street), Victoria 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Please note that BCFED President Irene Lanzinger will be at the Broadway and Commercial Skytrain station and BCFED Secretary-Treasurer Aaron Ekman will be at the Broadway City Hall Skytrain station at 7:30 am.
For more information on the campaign, please visit www.fightfor15bc.ca.
Attached: Fight for 15 Fact Sheet – BC Minimum Wage and Students.
Media contact: Jaime Matten 604-561-2663.